Good article on Iroman.com on the bene’s of Beets and a smoothie recipe to do with it.
Recipe: Fruity Beet Smoothie via Triathletes Kitchen Beets.
Fruity Beet Smoothie
Recipe Type: Smoothie
Serves two (serving size: 16 ounces) Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon-news/articles/2013/02/triathletes-kitchen-beets.aspx#ixzz2KErogENo
- 1 cup chopped cooked beet (see cooking steps above), peeled (~200grams)
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup mango (cubed, fresh or frozen)
- ½ large orange, peeled (no seeds)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- 8 ounces milk (in recipe, organic non-fat milk)
- 2 tsp flax seeds (ground)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4-5 ice cubes
- -Don’t toss your greens attached to the beet root. Prepare like any other green (wash before using).
- -For easy prep, slice a medium beet into quarters (skin not removed) and steam, covered, above two inches of boiling water for 15 minutes. Remove when soft, let cool, and peel (using gloves) to remove skin.
- -Add raw or cooked beets to a salad, soup or smoothie. Do not expect this beautifully colored veggie to be sweet. You may need to train your taste buds to appreciate the nutritional value found in beets.
- Place all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth.
- For more flavor or to be used as a recovery drink, add your choice protein powder and add additional water to help with mixing.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 154 Fat: 1.5 Carbohydrates: 31 Sugar: 25 Fiber: 6 Protein: 7